users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: Size of the JAX-RPC Client Run-time Library

From: Mete Kural <metek_at_touchtonecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:46:10 +0100

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

>If you really are limited to a few hundred K or >less of jar files, using JAX-RPC is going to be
>tough.

Then, I'm assuming that the current version of JAX-RPC was not designed to support light SOAP clients. I get more of the impression that JAX-RPC fits better to develop a SOAP client that runs on a J2EE server, i.e. a servlet application that consumes a web service and serves HTML to the user, rather than an applet that directly consumes the web service and displays the results. Can someeone from Sun confirm this?

>(1) Use Java Web Start.

It is an option that we are considering, but still if there would a way to not add so much to the size of the applet that would be manifold better since some clients may end up using Web Start and others may not.

>(2) Don't use JAX-RPC. For simple lightweight operations something like
>XML-RPC may be more suitable. And the jar file is less than 60K.

60K sounds very good. With a lightweight SOAP client such as XML-RPC you are mentioning, is it possible to build a SOAP client that consumes a stateful web service and maintains a session?

By the way, we will assume that the clients have JRE 1.4 at least, so they already have the XML parsers.

Regards,
Mete