users@jax-rpc.java.net

Size of the JAX-RPC Client Run-time Library

From: Mete Kural <metek_at_touchtonecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:19:14 +0100

Hello,
I went through the JWSDP 1.2 tutorial. As I looked at the ant build scripts used to compile the JAX-RPC client code, I realized that there were a lot of JAR files that were included. This worried me a little because we have to package a JAX-RPC client with our applet product and we cannot afford to add more than several 100KB's to the size of the applet. The jaxrpc-impl.jar by itself is 1.4 MB!! Obviously there must be a lot of classes in jaxrpc-impl.jar that aren't necessary for the client run-time environment. It seems like that there are also jar files that jaxrpc-impl.jar depends on and needs.

What are the minimum classes that are required in order to be able to run the JAX-RPC reference implementation client run-time environment? What is the total size of all these classes?

Thanks,
Mete