xrpcc: WSDL to Java is not working

From: Richard Monson-Haefel <>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:28:21 -0500


 I think there may be a bug in the xrpcc tool. I've attempted to several
different WSDL to Java code generations with xrpcc and it just doesn't
seem to work. I keep getting the same error.

"error: modeler error: invalid entity name: "string" (in namespace:

I an attempt to elliminate my own typos and other bugs I used examples
WSDL files from the WSDL 1.1 specification (,
but they gave exactly the same errors*. I used examples 1, 4, and 5.

I have attached my WSDL files and xrpcc config files in the hope that
someone can either help fix the problem. The WSDL files are taken from
the WSDL 1.1 Specification so they should work.* The error consistently
states that my entity name "string" is wrong. I've tried a lot of
different WSDL files to fix the problem but I just doesn't work for me.
I've tried changing the use of type to element as an attribute for the
part element but this doesn't work.

It seems that I can only use an XSD type if its assigned to a type
attribute of a <part/> and if the style of the soap:binding is "rpc" and
if the soap:input and soap:output use SOAP 1.1 encoding. Other
combinations, such as using types defined in the types element or using
XSD types with document style bindings and literal encoding just doesn't


Richard * I had to make a couple fixes to these WSDL 1.1 examples,
because they all had an extra '>' at the end of an operation element and
also example 5 failed to declare a QName for wsdl prefix

Richard Monson-Haefel
Author of J2EE Web Services (Addison-Wesley 2003)
Author of Enterprise JavaBeans, 3rd Edition  (O'Reilly 2001)
Co-Author of Java Message Service (O'Reilly 2000)