users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: JAXRPC-Commerical Implementation

From: Anne Thomas Manes <anne_at_MANES.NET>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 23:56:56 -0400

In regards to Tomcat, Sun elected to build the reference implementation at
Apache, so Apache has full rights to Tomcat and the TCK. The same is true
for Crimson. As far as I know, Apache has never had to pay Sun to license a
TCK. But the TCK licensing issue is the reason that J2EE open source
implementations, such as JBoss and the old Lutris Enhydra app servers were
never J2EE licensed implementations.

There was a recent change to the JCP bylaws that now provide special
provisions (i.e., free) for a non-profit organization to license a TCK.

Anne