users@jax-rpc.java.net

Re: J2SE runtime System, Discovery And Registration

From: Arun Gupta <arun.gupta_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:06:49 -0700

Hi Deepth,

Please see inline responses.

Deepth Dinesan wrote:

>Dear nerds,
>
><Naive Doubt n0=1 >
>
>The Spec Says that the runtime system for JAX-RPC could be
>
>1. J2SE
>2. Servlet Container 2.3
>3. J2EE container
>
>But the spec(or rather myself) is unclear about 1.
>JAX-RPC makes use of JAXRPCServlet ..for sending the SOAP Messages.
>Doesnt it ?
>
>Or Rather what Do I need to do/How to deploy my Web Service using JAX-RPC to
>run on J2SE ?

JAX-RPC specification allows for the various server-side programming
models (as you listed above). However it mandates only the servlet-based
programming model. And that JAX-RPC implementation in JWSDP or Java XML
Pack supports only the servlet-based programming model.

></Naive>
>
><Novice>
>Also the spec mentions Service discovery and registration as out of scope .
>Why is That so?
></Novice>

Service discovery and registration is being addressed by Java APIs for
XML Registeries (JAXR) APIs. These APIs are also bundled along with
JWSDP and Java XML Pack.

><Complex types>
>I have an application which I need to expose as a web service. However the methods
>returns "application defined types " . Meaning I need to sit long hours and
>plug the Serializers and Deserializers myself.
>
>Can there be a way to have a "Generic Type" for which the serializer/ deserializer
>will be built in . Something like CompositeData, TabularData type ?
>
>And hence I would spend time on converting the "user Defined Types" and "Collections"
>to Complex or Tabular Data Type (for which the serializers/deserializer are already available)
>
>Dunno If am thinking sense .
></Complex Types>

As of JWSDP EA2, you can consider converting your user defined types to
JAX-RPC value types as defined in Chapter 5 of 0.7 version of the
specification. The simplest JAX-RPC value type is based on JavaBeans
design pattern. You dont need to write serializers/deserializers for any
of the JAX-RPC supported value types as these are supported by the
serialization machinery of the JAX-RPC implementation.

For FCS release, a limited and most commonly used subset of Collections
will be supported.

Thanks for your interest in JAX-RPC.

Regards,
-Arun

>Thanks and Regards
>Deepth Dinesan

There is only one me, I must live myself!
There is only one today, I must live itself!
http://members.tripod.com/~apgupta/index.html