dev@javaserverfaces.java.net

RE: JSF mavenizing

From: Ed Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:25:59 -0700

MR> Hi Ed,
MR> I want to use the master-child way of working within Maven.
MR> This would allow you to push properties / plugins / dependencies
MR> down to child projects while maintaining them globally.

You mean using a pom that other modules declare as their <parent />?

MR> Hope that explains what I am trying to do :)

Yes, it does.

Ok. Take a look at this blog entry describing the layout of our
automated tests. [1]. I dread using surefire for tests. We have VERY
VERY advanced and specific requirements for the runtime configuration
that must exist for the various tests. These configurations depend
heavily on what container is being used. For example, consider these
statements.

* For GlassFish 3.1, we support cluster and non-cluster scenarios.

* In the GlassFish 3.1 non-cluster scenario only, some of tests use
  virtual servers.

* We currently support tomcat7, but only for the systests.

* The set of tests that actually run is highly dependent on which server
  config.

* All of these need to able to dynamically stop and start the container
  at will from within the build logic of the test.

Unless the state of the art for automated tests in maven has
significantly advanced since I last looked at it, I'd like to stick with
maven for the automated tests. Therefore, I can see the following maven
module layout.

maven module directory in maven tree
master-pom
jsf-api jsf-api/src/main (and other stuff)
jsf-api-test/unit jsf-api/src/test
jsf-ri jsf-ri/src/main (and other stuff)
jsf-ri-test/unit jsf-ri/test
jsf-ri-test/system jsf-ri/systest
jsf-ri-test/integration jsf-ri/systest-per-webapp
jsf-ri-test/regression jsf-ri/jsf-test
jsf-tools jsf-tools
jsf-demo jsf-demo

Manfred, can I create an svn branch for your to play around with?

Ed

[1] http://www.java.net/blog/edburns/archive/2011/03/15/summary-mojarra-hudson-jobs-and-automated-tests-they-run