[jsr344-experts] 1127-SerializeServerState PROPOSAL

From: Edward Burns <edward.burns_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:00:06 -0700

Mojarra issue JAVASERVERFACES-2349, filed by EG member Gerhard Petracek,
asks to make Mojarra conform to this spec text, In section "State Saving
Alternatives and Implications" in the "Application Integration" chapter.

  The default implementation Serializes the view in both the client and
  server modes.

This issue has a long history, dating back to summer 2007, chronicled in
JAVASERVERFACES-632. In that issue, then implementation lead Ryan Lubke
stated that he polled the community and the result was that enforcing
serializability in all cases should be off by default.

At this point, I'd like to amend the text quoted above to be:

  The default implementation Serializes the view in client
  mode. Serializing the view in server mode is optional but must be
  possible by setting context-param javax.faces.SERIALIZE_SERVER_STATE
  to true.

I hate adding another context-param, but I hate more making poor
performance the default without a good reason for doing so.

ACTION: please respond with your approval or disapproval of this
proposal.

Thanks,

Ed