users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr366-experts] Java EE Security API

From: Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 13:49:03 +0200

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> rmannibucau_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> 1. There are no available hooks in Java EE to take advantage of to
>>> introduce those
>>>

>> Not sure the point there since all containers would get these hooks. A
>> JSR doesnt have to be portable but just to provide an API which can work so
>> don't think it is a blocker.
>>

> It's not a blocker in the technical sense indeed. If we really wanted it,
> such hook (its behaviour/SPI at least) could have been defined.
>
> But unfortunately we just had very, very little resources. Basically 99%
> of JSR 375 was developed from my side on the commute from and back home, as
> that was all the time I had left.
>
> It's an order of magnitude easier to use things that are already there,
> then to invent / spec new ones ;)
>

>> 2. There are very few if any existing mechanisms to use as examples for
>> these containers
>>
>>> 3. Demand for them is quite low
>>>

>> Batch and @Async are not rare actually.
>>

> I agree, although I think what you want most here is a "login" method,
> meaning; skip the authentication mechanism (since there's not always a
> caller to interact with) and directly set the authenticated identity. Such
> method was on the roadmap, but we just didn't get to it. Again, available
> resources were incredibly low. I'm half surprised we still got as much done
> as we did.
>
> As a true authentication mechanism for @Asynchronous, yeah, that would be
> cool. But some thinking would have to go into how it would exactly interact
> with the caller. Throwing CDI events? The caller putting data in the event
> as response?
>
> From our previous discussions about @Asynchronous and the enhanced CDI
> version of that, you probably remember how much I would have liked to see
> that in Java EE 8, but because of time constraints it just didn't happen.
>
> Also, regarding the @Asynchronous annotation, it would have needed some
> cooperation of either the Concurrency spec or EJB spec, but neither were
> active during EE 8 :(
>

>> Well it is cause of AuthenticationStatus and HttpMessageContext
>>

> I wouldn't quite call that a state machine. AuthenticationStatus is mainly
> so the code calling it programmatically knows what to do.
>
> SUCCESS -> huray, we can use the principal. IN_PROGRESS -> The mechanism
> took over the response and I can't touch the response myself now, FAILURE
> -> I need to handle the failure somehow, i.e. by setting an error message.
>
> Is that a state machine, or just handling a response code? I dunno ;)

Well you have the notify methods etc implying a state machine you need to
know as a user. Put another name if you prefer but point was it is a big
complicated as a central API.

>> Maybe I missed something but the store doesn't secure by itself, I see it
>> as the LoginModule for JAAS which is actually not the API you use to
>> validate a context. So it is good it is not protocol specific (kudo on
>> that) but we still miss some server in between no?
>>

> Indeed, the store doesn't secure by itself. It's a protocol independent
> "database" of sorts. It's exactly like the LoginModule (LoginModule could
> bridge to IdentityStore, another thing that was planned but not realised).
> You put a credential in, you get an authenticated caller and optionally
> groups out.
>
> The one element that we didn't get to as mentioned above is something to
> directly set the outcome into the container without a mechanism in between.
> In terms of Servlet (but just as an example) that would correspond roughly
> to what HttpServletRequest#login does behind the scenes.

So if I try to summarize it seems a lot of shortcuts have been taken cause
of resources so regarding the addition or not of the spec to EE I think the
question is: are we happy enough of current state to make it part of the
platform or does it need more work to be at the level of something we want
to support for year. For me it has a small of unfinished, in particular at
platform level (at spec level itself it is usable with choice you agree or
not). The lack of other spec integration is kind of a blocker. It hurts EE
at several other places like CDI/servlet async, concurrency
utilities/async, CDI/JAAS, JAX-RS/CDI, CDI/Servlet scanning, ... and each
time it bites the platform and makes it look unfinished. Would be great to
avoid it for the security which is very important for all companies and not
a place where we can accept half full glass IMHO.