users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr366-experts] Re: Status of the Java EE 8 specifications

From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 23:26:14 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Antonio Goncalves
<antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Concurrency Utilities for Java EE (JSR 236) : It would be the perfect spec
> to have @Startup, @Schedule, @Asynchronous, @Pooled annotations. Any plans
> on that ?
>> We are still evaluating whether there will be a new JSR/MR.
>
> I think that is one of my biggest concern. I don't know what is the middle
> to long time "vision" of Java EE, but I think that what happened with
> @Transactional in JTA should be replicated

+1!

> What could we do to work on the process of evaluating if Concurrency should
> be updated or not?

Personally I would say that when looking at the demand updating
Concurrency should be a no-brainer. Java SE 8 support, portable
resource definitions and the long running theme of retrofitting EJB as
a set of CDI based annotations and Interceptors all sound very useful
to me and are things that I personally think would have a broad
support among users.

Things like @Asynchronous are clearly appreciated by users, but it
only being available for EJB beans is a limitation that should not be
necessary anymore. Same for the other annotations Antonio mentioned.

Kind regards,
Arjan