users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: Consolidation of Type Conversion

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:55:13 -0700

You missed the JavaBeans Activation Framework, which is built on the AWT data
transfer APIs and does Object to/from MIME byte stream conversions.

Yes, there's a lot of converters, and probably more than we need, but many of
them exist because there are different requirements in each case. I don't just
want Object to String, I want Object to String-containing-html or Object to
String-containing-xml or Object to String-containing-JSON or Object to
String-suitable-for-display-to-user or whatever. Converting between Java types
and MIME types handles many of these cases, but not all of them. I'm hoping
that a future version of the JDK will have better MIME type support. Assuming
we had it, can you imagine how to replace all these existing uses by something
like that?