users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Code-Examples in the EE Spec

From: Markus Eisele <myfear_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:59:31 +0100

Hi all,

I would like to start a short discussion about the use and quality of
code-examples in EE 7 and the contained specs.
The discussion I had with a couple of guys personally and via twitter
ended up with Eberhard writing up his thoughts
a bit more detailed here
http://jandiandme.blogspot.com/2012/02/dangerous-code-example-in-ejb-31-spec.html

To be honest, I have not seen this as a major issue. But looking
around and asking my peers
shows, that many of them are looking at the spec documents as the
single point of truth if some container seems to behave weird.

Beside the fact, that the spec documents should point out basic
concepts and don't
provide tutorial-like examples. I would like to see a general
statement in place, which should also be included by all contained
specs to
explicitly state if code is pseudo code or incomplete to any other
reason. Maybe this is something that could
be added to to general DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES which already covers
more general technical inaccuracies.

Would love to get feedback about this and how your experiences in the
field are.

Thanks,
- Markus