users@javaee-spec.java.net

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: Support for the Platform as a Service model

From: Pete Muir <pmuir_at_bleepbleep.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:21:57 +0100

On 15 Jun 2011, at 19:21, Jevgeni Kabanov wrote:

> I'm still catching up with the reading and some research, but here are in no particular order some things I'd ideally want to see from this:
> 1. App servers should abandon the notion that they are only managed by their own consoles. Their should be a generic way to start/stop/deploy/etc. I haven't looked into JSR-77 yet, maybe that's the one. But I'd propose to standardize on the command line instead of the Java API, which is hugely cumbersome in a heterogenous environment the apps commonly live in.

This seems a mistake to me, it's much more powerful to define such a Java API (or a REST API). With a Java API, it's easy enough to write a quick java app that can be called by a script, or to wrap the Java API in a REST API, a SOAP API etc.

Personally, I would love to see Java EE define a Java API for this, and a REST API.

> 2. Also, please let me pass parameters to the JVM, e.g. managing Glassfish through scripts is impossible. Being able to tune the app server and its JVM centrally is a must for the cloud.

This seems to me to be an impl detail?

> 3. REST API layered over JMX API for deployment, configuration management and app management. Can't stress that enough.
> 4. A jvm-instance-per-app model (better called process per app model) for app servers as an alternative to the current classloader per app model and way to manage those apps. At least as an option to be standardized on down the line.
> 5. Session API/SPI (probably through the same JMX/REST combination) that allows to migrate data without relying on the app server and also keep session in the super-effective datagrids/caches.
> 6. Oh, and an API for provisioning app servers, though that's probably too much to expect :)

This does seem too much for EE 7 :-)