jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] report on EG meeting at JavaOne

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 16:35:25 -0700

As previously announced, we held an expert group meeting at JavaOne.
Slides summarizing the meeting are posted here:
https://java.net/projects/javaee-spec/downloads/download/JavaEE-EG-meeting-results.pdf

The purpose of the meeting was to talk about potential items for Java EE 8.
I presented a list of items that I collected (see the slides), which we
discussed just enough to make sure everyone understood the item. We then
added items suggested by attendees.

Finally, to prioritize the items, attendees voted for the items they thought
were most important. (Oracle attendees did not vote.) Each attendee was
given 10 dollars/votes and allowed to spend them however they wanted on the
listed items. The slides summarize the results of that vote.

Note that the results of that vote should only be considered a "straw poll"
and not necessarily indicative of what might be in Java EE 8.

Our intent is to use the results of this discussion to prepare a poll,
probably including fewer items than were considered in this meeting, and
collect feedback from the entire community, similarly to what we did for
some Java EE 7 issues.

I'd be happy to have any attendees fill in more details on the discussions,
and/or provide corrections to any of the slides.

Thanks.