jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: (Optional) external alt-dd

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:44:32 -0700

Kevin Sutter wrote on 10/01/13 14:53:
> Hi Bill,
> Sorry to be a pain, but the more I look into this simple clarification, the
> more questions I have... From looking at some old threads in the users and
> expert group mailings [1], this alt-dd for the entire ear file does sound to
> be a new requirement for Java EE 7 -- not just a clarification.
The problem is that the previous spec didn't capture our intent, so you can
think of this as a new requirement if you prefer.

> Regardless of whether it's new or a clarification, I'm wondering about the
> location of this application alt-dd and how it relates to a module's alt-dd.
> Currently, my understanding is that a module's alt-dd location is somewhere
> within the EAR. If this application alt-dd specifies some external location,
> are the module alt-dd's relative to this external location? Or, are the
> module alt-dd's still a location within the EAR? Basically, what is the
> relationship of the application alt-dd to the module alt-dd specifications?
That's a good question, and I'm not sure we specify that. What we probably
should've required is that the ear-level alt-dd could be a jar file containing
both the application.xml and module-level deployment descriptors referenced by
alt-dd entries in that application.xml.

I'll file an RFE.