jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

From: Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:22:55 +0200

Well, funny enough, it looks like Maven is questionning about logs (
https://twitter.com/jvanzyl/status/256400079613734912) and SLF4J is the
answer. As a former BEA employee and J2EE 1.2 consultant, that reminds me
the good old time of "Entity CMP is the standard" and everybody was doing
something else (Toplink, JDO and then Hibernate). With logs, it's the same
thing "JUL is the standard", yes, but everybody is using LOG4J, SLF4J....

I still keep on receiving emails, comments on my blog about people
interested in standardizing logs (or I should say, people fed up of
struggling with logs in 2012). If spec leads don't really care, well, let's
keep on using LOG4J or SLF4J. It's just a shame that we don't answer a real
problem faced on a day to day basis by developers. Because, no, developpers
don't use JUL, and that's a fact.

Antonio

Antonio Goncalves
Software architect and Java Champion