jsr342-experts@javaee-spec.java.net

[jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:57:01 +0200

Bill/all,

I partly agree, as there are a lot more Cloud and DevOps tools out there
that are not written in Java. Most of them use Ruby/Rails or Python, maybe
you see others here and there, but at least the Chef/Puppet or compatible
fraction does not care a lot about Java, even if the app server it's used
to provision might be running it.

An extremely important aspect of logging in such environment is to define
where files are logged. Unfortunately without a transparent, easy to
understand way on how to control that, we see on a day to day basis, that
our local Cloud "partner" in India or elsewhere misses a file or option in
Production, and then you have most apps (e.g. running Play! where Log4J is
used and controlled rather easily) log into the right place
like*/mytenant/logging/
*but wrongly configured servers as well as 3rd party components (depending
on which Java logging framework they actually use) log to
either*/mytenant/domains/domain1/logs/
* or /opt/oracle/logs/ as well as for the projects delivered on JBoss
either */mytenant/domains/domain1/default/log/ *
or /opt/jboss/jbossasversionX/server/default/log.

Similar with Tomcat, where Log4J is mostly used. Odd btw. that Apache, Doug
Lea and Accenture ignored the ballot for JSR 47 back in 2001:
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/results?id=527 Considering, Accenture could be
dealing with similar issues these days in many Outsourcing projects, that
seems a bit strange, but maybe they were never so involved. Having Doug and
Apache not vote at a time when the issues that drove them out of the EC
later almost simultanously were not so imminent is of course a bit
worrying.

WebSphere does seem to extent JUL type loggers, at least telling from
articles and forum entries like this one:
https://wiki.base22.com/display/btg/Logging+through+WebSphere+Portal+from+Java+and+JSPs

Glassfish also uses it, but with several places for properties files:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18930_01/html/821-2416/abluk.html#gkkit
For both EE developers and admins (DevOps) this certainly adds
complication, even if you try to script or automate any of these files.

If a very small thin JSR on top of existing solutions found enough demand,
it probably should be closest to SLF4J:
http://www.slf4j.org/manual.html#binding

The main advantage is for application and platform developers having a
common logging API to use. Solutions like SLF4J do not solve the underlying
configuration for you, so please differentiate between

   - Dev
   - Ops

here if you wish

Putting my developer hat on I would certainly love to see a common API
without having to worry that much about the underlying logging solution or
configuration.
With the ops hat, a more transparent configuration would be an advantage,
but if you have a binding layer in the first place, at least the components
using that have a better choice if they want multiple properties files, a
single XML file, maybe soon some JSON format instead of XML or a
combination of all these[?]

Kind Regards,
--
Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member | Eclipse UOMo Lead
Twitter @wernerkeil | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR
Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil
* Eclipse Day Krakow: September 13 2012, Krakow, Poland. Werner Keil,
Eclipse Committer, UOMo Lead, Mærsk Build Manager will present "Eclipse
STEM, UOMo and Hudson"
* Chip-to-Cloud Security Forum: September 19 2012, Nice, French Riviera.
Werner Keil, JCP Executive Committee, JSR-321 EG Member will present
"Trusted Computing API for Java™"
* Eclipse Day Delft: September 27 2012, Delft, Netherlands. Werner Keil,
Eclipse Committer, UOMo Lead, Mærsk Build Manager will present "Triple-E
class Continuous Delivery with Hudson, Maven and Mylyn"
* JavaOne: September 30-October 4 2012, San Francisco, USA. Werner Keil,  JCP
Executive Committee Member will present "Standards for the Future of Java
Embedded", "Eclipse UOMo, STEM, and JSRs e.g. 331 or JCP.next"
* DevoXX: November 13 2012, Antwerp, Belgium. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member
and Agorava Committer, will present "Java Social JSR, it's alive"

329.gif
(image/gif attachment: 329.gif)