users@javaee-security-spec.java.net

[javaee-security-spec users] [jsr375-experts] Drop SecurityContext from the spec?

From: Will Hopkins <will.hopkins_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:17:09 -0400

Hi All,

I'm wondering if it makes sense to drop SecurityContext from the spec,
for these reasons:

  * As currently specified, it is completely redundant. It does provide
    a uniform syntax across containers, but all three methods (one of
    which only works in the servlet container) duplicate functions that
    already exist, albeit with slightly different syntaxes, in every
    container. The only value we're adding here is syntactical uniformity.

  * As currently specified, SecurityContext provides only a subset of
    the functionality originally envisioned. I confess I'm not as
    familiar with the earlier plans as I should be, but based on more
    recent discussions it seems clear that the original vision was for a
    more complete set of functions. It might make sense to avoid
    specifying any of the functions until we can consider the API more
    completely and wholistically and ensure that it presents a concise
    and cohesive set of functions.

  * The EE 8 schedule is very aggressive. SecurityContext isn't
    extremely complicated, but there is still significant work to
    finalize the spec and the API, make sure the RI is correct, and, for
    us here at Oracle, integrate the RI with GlassFish and develop the
    TCK. I think it's still possible to get all that done for
    SecurityContext, but in light of the fact that SecurityContext
    doesn't add any net-new functionality, I think it makes sense to
    drop SecurityContext so we can focus completely on getting
    HttpAuthenticationMechanism and IdentityStore done. Those two pieces
    add a lot of value, and is still significant work to do for them,
    particularly IdentityStore.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Will