[jsr375-experts] Identity Store Proposal 2.0

From: Alex Kosowski <alex.kosowski_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:28:04 +0100

Hi Experts,

After reading Arjan's comments and spending many hours in a bar with
David Blevins last night here at Devoxx UK, I would like to revise my
proposal.

I do not have a formal write up yet, but I updated some files in the
GitHub proposals repo and would like your thoughts:

Please see:
https://github.com/javaee-security-spec/javaee-security-proposals/blob/master/identity-store/src/main/java/javax/security/idm/IdentityStore.java

Some comments:
1. The IdentityStore is proposed now as read only, no CRUD for callers,
groups, roles or credentials
2. Groups and Roles are just Strings, and are searchable by regular
expression
3. As in the previous proposal, the Caller is a class, which has some
meta data like locked and expiration date, maybe extendable with
additional properties (or not?)
4. As in the previous proposal, the Credentials concrete class is
understood by an associated CredentialHandler implementation, which
knows how to validate the credentials
5. Standardized support for backend stores include: file, LDAP, database
6. SPI for extensible Credentials, CredentialHandler, Backend Store support

Here is a usage case example:

@Inject
IdentityStore identityStore;

*

// Check credentials

Credentials creds = new UsernamePasswordCredentials("john",

    new Password("welcome1"));

CredentialValidationResult result =
identityStore.validateCredentials(creds);

if (Status.VALID.equals(*result*.getStatus())) {

  // authentication was successful

List<String> roles =
identityStore.getRolesForCaller(result.getValidatedCaller());

// TODO: SOMEHOW INFORM THE CONTAINER, VIA CALLBACK OR OTHERWISE, THE
ASSIGNED ROLES

}*

What do you think?

With regards,