users@grizzly.java.net

Re: AW: Implementing a custom protocol with grizzly

From: charlie hunt <charlie.hunt_at_sun.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:04:05 -0600

jack Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
> thank you very much for your reply.
>
> Just to make sure:
>
> 1) So at SUN a group is programming a complete IIOP Protocol on Grizzly.
> At some time in the future the code will be available at
> http://glassfish-corba.dev.java.net.

Yes and Yes. :-)

That group at Sun is also very active in the Grizzly community.

And, for a little more clarification on what is being done is, GlassFish
CORBA is being migrated to use Grizzly's (framework) transport.

I would speculate that some time in the next 30 to 60 days that work
will be available in the GlassFish CORBA V3 source code repository.

> 2) When they are ready, the more general concepts (For example CORBA fragmented messages) may then be refactored to the basic Grizzly API?

CORBA fragmented messages and other types of CORBA messages will be
supported. If you look at the GlassFish CORBA V2 implementation, there
is a pretty good separation of transport and protocol layers. Hence,
the migration to Grizzly is not too complicated since the protocol layer
doesn't know what underlying transport it is using.

What I am trying to say is that the existing protocol implementation you
see in GlassFish CORBA V2, is what you will see in GlassFish V3 once
Grizzly is integrated. About all that will be changed is underlying
transport will use Grizzly instead of what it was using before. The
protocol parser in GlassFish CORBA V2 is very similar to what is used in
the Grizzly based implementation. Some interface changes just meant
that some of the logic moved to a different method. There are some
other minor exceptions such as the transport used for CSIV2 (for the
moment) will use the GlassFish CORBA V2 implementation. But, for the
most common IIOP configurations it will use Grizzly as the transport in
the near future.

> 3) if I want to look at the old Glassfish IIOP Code I can take a look
> at http://glassfish-corba.dev.java.net.

Yes, if you look at https://glassfish-corba.dev.java.net, you will want
to look at the V2 repository. Well, I suppose you could look at V3's
repository too since it also currently has all the old GlassFish IIOP
code there too.

charlie ...