dev@grizzly.java.net

[Fwd: Google Protocol Buffers integration is ready.]

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:04:56 -0500

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Google Protocol Buffers integration is ready.
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:24:53 +0900
From: Trustin Lee (???) <trustin_at_gmail.com>
To: Netty Developers <netty-dev_at_lists.jboss.org>

Hi folks,

I have finished the implementation of Google Protocol Buffers codec for
Netty.

Google Protocol Buffers (protobuf) are a way of encoding structured data
in an efficient yet extensible format. Google uses Protocol Buffers for
almost all of its internal RPC protocols and file formats. With
protobuf, you can define a binary protocol very quickly and
efficiently. For more information, please see here:
http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/

With the ProtobufEncoder and ProtobufDecoder that Netty provides, you
can now write a network application with a very efficient binary
encoding even more quickly than ever. It just takes little time to
implement a codec with protobuf.

To help your understanding, I have written a time client / server
example. The time client sends a list of time zones, and then the time
server responds with the local time for each time zone. Please brwose
the following directory:

     *
http://fisheye.jboss.org/browse/Netty/trunk/src/main/java/org/jboss/netty/example/localtime

Please note that LocalTimeProtocol.java has been generated from
LocalTimeProtocol.proto by protobuf compiler.

Please feel free to send me a feed back once you review the source
code. I'd like to know what could be improved to support protobuf
better and to help you implement an efficient binary protocol more
quickly than ever.

Thanks in advance,

— Trustin Lee, http://gleamynode.net/