dev@grizzly.java.net

Re: Implementing Apache Portable Runtime on Grizzly?

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:18:28 -0400

Hi,

Outside - Karl's ACM wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I’m curious if anyone else here might be interested in implementing APR
> for Grizzly.

I'm closely following APR implementation in both Tomcat and MINA, but
I've never tried to see how it can be used with Grizzly. Looking at
MINA, it doesn't seems to be complicated through.

> My reasons for investigating this is are admittedly slightly
> contradictory to some community goals:
>
> * in a very few cases APR offers better feature portability on certain
> operating systems (i.e. kqueue on BSD)
>
> * APR may allow experimenting with networking technologies in advance of
> their JVM implementation

Agree on both.

> Both of these could also be accomplished by experimenting with OpenJDK,
> but I think APR could be a better target for bringing these changes to
> production environments in some situations.
>

> I think I have some idea of where to begin with this, but wanted to get
> community feedback.

Well, you are more than welcome to start working on this. For sure I
will be quite interested to help (although my JNI/C skills can be scary
:-)). But for sure we are interested :-)

A+

-- Jeanfrancois