webtier@glassfish.java.net

Re: [webtier] Need peers advice

From: Wolfram Rittmeyer <w.rittmeyer_at_jsptutorial.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:44:51 +0100

webtier_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> I am about to setup a web server for production. I have been playing around with glassfish and reading as much as I can get time to; the question is does anyone think that v3 is ready for production web serving? I am also interested in knowing if it is wise to use netbeans on the same server as my new glassfish? I am hesitant to do so but can not seem to find a reason not to.
> Thanks

Hi,

this questions are a bit broad to answer. It depends on which type of
app your are deploying. Which deliverables constitue your app, what
other systems you might want to use, what kind of load you expect (on
average and on peak times), if you want to deploy GF only or if you
would like to use a frontdoor Apache and so on.

Generally speaking: Yes. GlassFish is used in various production
environments and fulfills a variety of needs. Depending on your specific
requirements it might be useful to use a Apache as frontdoor webserver
for static content and to consider loadbalancing.

You can find some examples for production usage of GlassFish on this
blog: http://blogs.sun.com/stories/

Regarding Netbeans I am a bit at a loss. Netbeans is a integrated
development environment - which happens to support GlassFish very well.
But it should be used by developers on their development machines. There
is no need for Netbeans to run on a production server.

I also would not deploy directly from Netbeans to your production
server. I personally would create deliverables, test them on systems
resembling your production system as closely as possible and afterwards
deploy these to your production system.

Hope this helps,

--
Wolfram Rittmeyer