users@glassfish.java.net

[gf-users] Re: Glassfish Server Open Source Version

From: Steven Siebert <smsiebe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:18:17 -0400

Sadly, it's not as easy for me to switch to Payara because my customer (US
Army, but by and large same goes for any federal org under NIST/FISMA/RMF)
uses the "name" (and version...and applies their own rigid rules on what a
version format means even though this is vendor/program specific...but
another story for another day) as a unique reference "identifier" in
approval/accreditation/IA documents. Sadly, changing from GF to Payara,
despite its technical AND security benefits, is more difficult than it
should be. If/when we get to that point, we wouldn't just be moving from
GF to Payara, we would be looking at it in a much bigger picture, including
considering moving away from the GF technology altogether (something I
don't necessarily want to do). This is why I stepped out of the shadows and
commented - however silly, it would be beneficial if the "Glassfish"
trademark/name be moved.

Moving the designation as EE RI along with that would be amazing for the
Java EE community, but just the designation would save time and money
downstream.