users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Just to be sure: you do know

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:45:13 -0600 (CST)

I am new to this but I think that mod_proxy is an alternative to mod_jk. The
postings that I have found tell me that the mod_jk module for Apache is the
simplest and most common way of accomplishing what I want to do. If I
understand this correctly, when I have everything working visitors to my Web
site will send HTTP requests to Apache on port 80. The mod_jk module in
Apache will forward some requests to Glassfish, on which I have created a
network listener on port 8009. Glassfish then fetches or generates the
requested HTML page (or jpg image or whatever is the correct response to the
request), passes it to Apache, which then sends the HTTP response back to the
visitor in the usual way. I specify which requests Apache will forward to
Glassfish in my configuration file by saying, for example, that all requests
with URLs that begin with "/dynamic" shall be forwarded to Glassfish. Some
schools have firewalls that prevent students from accessing services (like
Glassfish) that run on port 8080. I would like to make my Java Web
applications accessible to those students through the (unblocked) port 80.
Even where there is no firewall, I would like to relieve visitors to my Web
site from the need to include a port number in what they enter in their
browser's address window because few members of my potential audience are
likely to be familiar with port numbers.

--
[Message sent by forum member 'leontabak']