users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Too many open files issue

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:17:07 -0500 (CDT)

Hi, I'm running the latest ubuntu (precise) 32bit on jdk 1.7u7. (linux
3.2.0-31 and 1.7.0_07-b10 jdk to be exact) All was working fine on ubuntu
oneiric and glassfish 3.1.1 (b12) (same jdk) until I upgraded everything this
week. I don't know what circumstances caused it but will monitor the
situation to see if it occurs again. I can't see any open files as you
describe, but the majority (4000+) files opened by glassfish at the time it
started to die were of the following form (taken from lsof) java 12241 gf
419u REG 8,1 65536 2999196
/srv/glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/logs/server/tx/extent.85S
everything else looked normal, usual jar files, loads of osgi stuff, etc Btw,
there are a few anon_inode and pipe handles lying around but not many. A
couple of things struck me as odd about the extent files: Firstly, the part
after the dot was an alphanumeric sequence that bizarrely started at 854
whereas clearing the tx directory seems to reset to 0 (I cleaned the logs,
etc before the upgrade in case that matters) Secondly the files are repeated,
each file is opened 7 times Unfortunately the server was urgently needed so I
took what information I thought was relevant and then deleted the tx
directory before restarting. if anything else is of interest let me know and
I will try to obtain it if it happens again. John

--
[Message sent by forum member 'jsl1234']