users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Looking for info on proxying GlassFish with Apache?

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:29:10 -0500 (CDT)

 Hi,

I posted the above several months ago, and never got any responses, but
wanted to provide some additional info in case it might help anyone in the
future.

We've been using the WebLogic Plugin for Apache for proxying to GF 3.1.1 for
awhile, and it's generally been working fine, until recently, we encountered
a problem when we had the GF serving some static .js files.  The problem
that we ran into was even though some of those .js files were a variety of
sizes, including some that were quite small, on some of them (specific .js
files), we were seeing consistent load times of 30.0x seconds, whereas other
.js file file would load in millisecs.

We were kind of thrashing around, and we finally tried switching the
<Location> section in the Apache that was proxying one of the URI roots to
use mod_proxy instead of the WebLogic Plugin.  Then, when we tested after
bouncing the Apache sefver, no more 30.0x second load times for anything.
 Everything was fast.

I've tried switching to mod_proxy on another test system where I had been
able to simulate the 30 second load time earlier, but on this second system,
switching to mod_proxy caused a 50x error instead.

So, I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that there is something "strange"
with GF 3.1.1 on Windows 64-bit, in the area of communications (HTTP/HTTPS)
handling.  I don't know what that is, but thought that I'd post this info
here, in case it helps anyone else.

Later,

Jim

--