users@glassfish.java.net

Eclipse "Internal GlassFish" newbie questions

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:32:24 -0600 (CST)

Hello,

please beware, I'm new to GlassFish.

I downloaded the GlassFish server runtime and tools from
http://download.java.net/glassfish/eclipse/indigo (top and bottom two entries
of the four listed, I excluded the docs) and after installation of it all an
"Internal GlassFish 3.1.1" is shown.

1. General: What is that? Is it needed? Isn't it generally better to manage
servers externally? I'm not a fan of installing servers etc. by default...

2. Startup: When trying to start GlassFish, it fails with an error saying:

"GlassFish v3 requires a JDK 1.6 and not a JRE. Please add/select the correct
JDK in the Server properties 'Runtime Environment' section."

Uhmm, well, I looked and remembered that I have never downloaded the Oracle
Java EE package because using JBoss AS server runtime on the build path was
sufficient. Why does GlassFish require a JDK here?

3. Port: I saw the "Server Port Number" under "Application Server", but the
port is grayed out. How can you change the port (as it would collide with my
main server JBoss AS).

Thanks for helping

Karsten

PS: I need the GlassFish setup as to test mostly EclipseLink stuff, which
doesn't yet integrate with JBoss AS 7 and Hibernate is sometimes a sorry ORM.

--
[Message sent by forum member 'kwutzke']