users@glassfish.java.net

Re: When GlassFish is updated through the update tool in GlassFish, does the

From: Richard Troy <rtroy_at_ScienceTools.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:52:28 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 forums_at_java.net wrote:

>  When GlassFish is updated through the update tool in GlassFish, does the
> domain.xml file get written to?
>
> I ask because while trying to specify a specify IP address for glassfish, by
> editing or changing the default 0.0.0.0 address attribute through the Admin
> console for network listeners, admin service and JMX Connector. I restarted
> GlassFish and it restarted, only not solving the problem I was faced with. I
> then proceeded to install all the available add-ons restarted my GlassFish
> and I was presented with a log in screen I couldn't get past (wasn't
> accepting GlassFish  default password - and I had not set one). I had, in
> the past, experienced this before when I tired to modify the domain.xml file
> , while trying to add the address attribute directly to the file. So, I knew
> it was caused by a configuration error and replaced domain.xml with a copy of
> the original (backed up) and GlassFish started fine. But I'm not sure if the
> update process makes changes in the domain.xml file, hence I would have lost
> the modifications.
>
> Thanks.

Â,

In addition to Tom Mueller's knowledgeable response, I'll introduce you to
a tool called "diff". Diff gives you a command-line accessable mechanism
for discovering differences in files. In your instance, you could have run
it against both the domain.xml file and your backup copy and thereby have
known in advance that the files were the same or different.

If your system doesn't have diff, you can get it either by installing
Microsoft's (oddly named) "Tools for Unix" package, or (what I use)
Cygwin, provided by Cygwin.com, an organization funded by Red Hat -
Cygwin provides Windows systems a Linux / Unix-like toolset.

Regards,
Richard