users@glassfish.java.net

background process in glassfish / light back-end in glassfish

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:17:11 -0500 (CDT)

 Is there a way to write some kind of a backend application for glassfish ?

Basically,I would like to write my own virtual server that would :

1) run on the background with a single instance

2) starts when glassfish starts ( and stops also when glassfish stops )

3) provide web services based on a subscription model

4) talks to clients ( I mean java clientapps) throught JMS

5) perform some polling and various tasks on the background

( I am receiving trading orders from web clients and I want them to be
processed by my backend , the backend serevr must poll data from markets on
the background )

1) to 5) can obviously be achieved with java language but how can I deploy
such an application into Glassfish ? I have done something similar in the
past with JBoss but I do not know how to do it with glassfish.

I knwo that I can write my backend , create specific connectors using JCA to
make it communicate with glassfish ( and I still need to use JMS in that
) but I would like to /embedd /my backend into glassfish. That's maybe not
feasible at all since glassfish is already an application server and is not
as such aimed at hosting some kind of  'servers'( but only to server
applications )  , nevertheless I was thinking to a way of writing some kind
of a module for glassfish such as a specific virtual server for example ?
 On the other hand , what would be the best way to connect glassfish to my
backend ? could I use JMS only to make glassfish apllications client and
backend to communicate  ?

Thanks for your lights

--
[Message sent by forum member 'rupp']