users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Setting up updatecenter package for clean removal?

From: Laird Nelson <ljnelson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:45:12 -0400

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Joe Di Pol <joe.dipol_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> The bottom line here is: don't create a package that installs files
> directly into a GlassFish domain. Instead, install the files elsewhere
> and require some step that deploys (or whatever) the software into
> the domain.

Yep; understood. I take it that IPS can't help me with this mythical step.
:-)

So the tentative plan then will be to drop this
empty-jar-with-a-MANIFEST-pointing-at-a-directory-full-of-dependencies into
some off-to-the-side directory somewhere that my package will have full
control over. Then it will be up to Java EE application deployers to do:

asadmin deploy --libraries
/path/to/this/off/to/the/side/directory/hibernate-ips.jar
/path/to/application.ear

...if I'm understanding everything correctly. Alternatively, I have some
kind of post-update-center installer that copies all this junk into the
domain-dir-of-your-choice/applibs directory, in which case someone could
just do:

asadmin deploy --libraries hibernate-ips.jar /path/to/application.ear

Not quite the push-and-install convenience of the update center but better
than nothing.

Best,
Laird