users@glassfish.java.net

[v3.1] setting java.io.tmpdir?

From: <forums_at_java.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:38:44 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,

experiencing a strange behaviour in 3.1, I wanted to check back with
everybody to see whether what I am doing might be my fault or a different
kind of problem: Generally, I do have a piece of code that fetches files off
some backend repository and keeps them stored in a temporary location for
further processing. For the sake of cutting configuration effort, I decided
to want to use java.io.tmpdir for all these purposes. So, here's how things
are:

  * Initially, java.io.tmpdir seems to resolve to
    glassfishv3/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/. Which, in my opinion, is a
    pretty dumb default as I do not at all want to have temporary files living
    next to my domain configuration. Anyway, files end up there, and the
    application seems to "see" files there, too.
  * Using "-Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp/app/", I see the peculiar behaviour that, in
    general, files indeed go there instead of the domain1/config folder.
    However, the servlet storing them there always still does return the
    glassfish/domains/domain1/config/<filename> path doing "getAbsolutePath"
    on the File instance after storing.

Huh? Am I completely missing something, or is something wrong here? There
_is_ a way making Glassfish v3 use a java.io.tmpdir outside of its domain
folder, ain't there? TIA for any hints on that, all the best,

Kristian

--
[Message sent by forum member 'kawazu']