users@glassfish.java.net

Re: setup personal domain using netbeans 7.0 and glassfish 3.1

From: Vince Kraemer <vince.kraemer_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:54:23 -0700

Hombergh,Pieter P.J.F.J. van den wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In our courses are using netbeans plus glassfish in a mixed solaris and ubuntu environment (solaris being the home dir server)
> We would like to let the students create a personal domain in their home directory without having to download and install glassfish there.
> That would be a waist of disk space, since only a personal domain is required.
> How can we set this up with netbeans 7.0
> We understood it was possible in earlier versions.

Yes. it is possible to do in NB 7.0 with GF 3.1...

here are the steps... roughly

right-click on the 'Servers' node of the 'Services' explorer window.
    A menu is displayed
select the 'Add Server...' item
    The 'Add Server Instance' dialog is displayed

Select 'GlassFish Server 3.x' from list of available plugins
Edit the 'Name' field to be something useful
Press the Next button
  The next page of the dialog displays

Enter the path to a READABLE, EXECUTABLE shared installation of
GlassFish in the 'Installation Location' field.
Press Next

Enter the full path of a directory that you want to have created that
will contain the personal domain data. One example would be
"/home/vkraemer/MyTestDomain". If each student has their own Linux
machine, you may want to have them select the "Use Default Ports"
checkbox. If there are multiple students on a single machine, they
probably should not select this option, since the domains would have
port conflicts.

Press the Finish button

vbk