users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Is Glassfish a Web Server/Application Server/or Both?

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.moussine-pouchkine_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 15:34:34 +0200

(moving to USERS)

If I was answering an RFP (which this the case here), I'd mention the HTTP Web Servers that GlassFish supports as front ends: Oracle iPlanet Web Server 7, Apache 2.2, IIS 7.5, and Oracle HTTP Server. Details are in the compatibility matrix: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/glassfish31cert-matrix-328538.xls

But at the same time you are correct that you can use GlassFish without fronting it with a Web Server. For simple network topologies (no DMZ, no load-balancing) you can use the built-in Web Server which is Grizzly (http://grizzly.java.net), a high-performance nio framework used here for serving HTTP requests.

cheers,
-Alexis