users@glassfish.java.net

Re: [nbj2ee] Re: Help: access a Local Session Bean from another EAR

From: Steven Siebert <smsiebe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:20:14 -0400

I completely agree, I wish there was a specification-compliant way to get
around using a remote interface for this very situation. One way I have
found is to create the common services as OSGi bundles and provide these as
injectable services. This is great for GF or other app servers that expose
the OSGi franework it rides on in a similar manner (JBoss 6, JOnAS), but
remember that there is not a specification (EE or OSGi) compliant way of
doing this (yet!)...so deployment specifics will very.

Sahoo has made some great tutorial/blogs in this area that you might find
interesting:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/ss141213/archive/2009/06/developing_hybr.html
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/2009/06/16/our-second-hybrid-application-ejb-osgi-service

That said, I really think EJB technologies has room to grow in the way of
supporting component design/modularity with better grace, without the need
of building a hybrid (OSGi/EJB) application....

Hope this helps.

Regards,