users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JACC question

From: Laird Nelson <ljnelson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:37:31 -0500

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Kumar.Jayanti <Vbkumar.Jayanti_at_sun.com>wrote:

> JACC Provider is a domain-wide configuration and applies to all
> Applications. So when you replace the BigCo-authored JACC policy provider
> you know what you are doing....

OK. This is different from how JBoss works, yes? For example, see use
cases 2 and 4 here: http://community.jboss.org/wiki/jacc

You can set your JACC provider in JBoss to work only on certain
applications. It would appear that (without building this yourself) such a
thing is impossible in Glassfish.

> One thing that you can do is that your new JACC Policy Provider instantiate
> and use BigCo's implementation as a delegate.

Right; then my Policy provider would be a delegating Policy provider, in the
words of the specification.

> And there for PolicyContext Id's that correspond to BigCo's App, you
> delegate the calls to the delegate and otherwise use your implementation.
> And this is doable even if you do not have source code of BigCo's JACC
> Provider.

Right. Is there any reason in particular that Glassfish did not pursue a
delegation strategy for this subsystem like JBoss did?

> HTH,

It does; thanks.

Best,
Laird