users@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish as a Windows service

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 12:53:33 PDT

Hi all,

I am trying to set up Glassfish to run as a Windows service on a Windows 2003 server.
I have done this for other Glassfish instances, but for this particular one it simply does not work.

The service is (seemingly) created correctly and when I start the service all seems ok, only the service starts very quickly but no Glassfish gets started and nothing is written to the Glassfish logs.

Note that I can start the domain bmo asadmin start-domain domain1.

The event viewer says that service started successfully.

I created the service as follows (ref http://wikis.sun.com/display/GlassFish/FaqRunAsWindowsService):

java -jar GlassfishSvc.jar -i -n "eSak-Glassfish" -d "d:\Programs\glassfish" -m domain1

(I ran the same command for another instance successfully.)

and I tried this command - with and without the --user and --passwordfile parameters:

C:\windows\system32\sc.exe create domain1 binPath= "D:\Programs\glassfish\lib\appservService.exe \"D:\Programs\glassfish\bin\asadmin.bat start-domain --user admin --passwordfile D:\Programs\glassfish\.asadminpass domain1\" \"D:\Programs\glassfish\bin\asadmin.bat stop-domain domain1\"" start= auto DisplayName= "Glassfish DOMAIN1"

with the same negative result.

The glassfish instance for which the service fails to start Glassfish has been set up by backing up a domain on a different server and restoring it to the current instance.

On the other instances, Glassfish are installed to D:\glassfish whereas for the problemdomain Glassfish is installed to D:\programs\glassfish; hardly worth mentioning, I know.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem and what I could do to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kind reagards,
Bård Tørustad
[Message sent by forum member 'torustad']