users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling JSP is slow on v3

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 10:59:53 +0200

On Sep 4, 2010, at 3:30 AM, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

>> Agreed, i have noticed this too. It takes 10 seconds
>> or so to compile
>> a simple index.jsp.
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> Paul,
>
> Can you give me more details about this? What your is system and
> platform? JDK version?

It was a vanilla Web app created by the NBs 6.9 wizard deployed to GF
3.1 b19-09_03_2010 on the Mac.

> Is the time for deployment with precompilejsp=true or compile with
> browser access? How simple is your simple index.jsp?

The approximate time was from when i first accessed the index.jsp,
reloading is subsequently faster. I did not pre-compile the JSPs, i
just used what the defaults are as supplied by NBs.

> I it not my experience that V3 jsp compilation is much slower than
> V2. But since everybody (or almost everybody :-) ) is saying so, so
> there must be something that I've missed. And nobody is giving me
> specifics or a test case!

I dunno if it is slower than V2 or not. It's just from a user
perspective it is slow and much slower than Tomcat, which is ~ < 2s
for first deploy.

Paul.