users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Launch app-client via JWS on windows and mac (server runs on windows)

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 06:14:57 PDT

Hello, Pablo.

1. GlassFish does not rely on any native libraries in its client support, so you can expect your app clients to run properly on any supported OS.

2. You should be able to customize the splash screen already (in 2.x, 3.0, and 3.0.1) using the hints here:

http://blogs.sun.com/quinn/entry/glassfish_v2_and_java_web

In 3.1 (in the current nightly and promoted builds, in fact) you can use the JNLP customization feature I described earlier. (The older technique is still supported as well.)

3. It is probably best if you opened a NetBeans issue - or there might already be an open on for this which you could monitor. I think NetBeans has assumed that every client will want to contact at least one EJB, and it has further assumed (or perhaps NetBeans just knows from looking at the projects) that the remote interfaces are in the EJB module and therefore NetBeans adds that module to the app client's class path. In my opinion, the ideal design is for the remote interfaces to be in a separate JAR from the EJB JAR. That way both the app client and the EJB module can depend on it, but the app client does not have to include the EJB module itself. This is not how the wizards lead you to build an app; at least not the last time I looked.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn']