users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish and Platform Services - Feedback Request

From: NBW <emailnbw_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:03:25 -0400

Hi Byron,

It would be nice to finally have a Windows service install procedure both as
the result of running the installer or using asadmin which properly sets
things up like adding -Xrs to the necessary bat files etc.

It would also be nice to be able to have platform services for running the
bundled JavaDB in network mode similar to how you can rung OpenMQ in either
embedded or server mode.

There's no supported way to have the bundled JavaDB start in network mode.
You have to use something like JavaServiceWrapper to install a separate
JavaDB service. You should be able to to have the option to have it start up
the JavaDB in network mode during GF startup. This would simplify deployment
by reducing the number of installed services, remove dealing with service
dependency/start order and all the other manual overhead associated with
doing this. Right now you can only have GF start the JavaDB in embedded mode
which is unfortunate because one of the major drawbacks of this mode is that
there can only be one client connected to the DB at a time making working
with a running database (for example for debugging/development purposes) a
real pain.

Thanks,

-Noah