users@glassfish.java.net

some basic questions about glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:25:11 PDT

Hi everyone, i'm new to Java - and although i'm an experienced programmer i'm really a doctor. I am developing along with my university a virtual patient simulation program which uses a rich internet application front end (Flash etc.) together with a Java backend for the programmatic heaving lifting. The physiological model is extremely complicated and limited by the power of the computer, so we are shifting a lot of the complex algorithms to a server, which does it's multiple floating point number crunching and sends the result back to the client. This means that we can provide hi fidelity simulation to the third world. However:

1) is it possible to run glassfish on a server so that a there are persistent objects across multiple POST requests (much like the PHP session variables). There would be many many variables.

2) it is possible to instruct the server to run a Java program which remains running, then communicate via a Socket connection? etc?

3) is there a simple package for playing with glassfish on a windows computer rather than a server? I'm thinking of PHP packages like WAMP and XAMP which install a LAMP stack and enable you to test pages on a local host address. Is there some sort of plugin for Netbeans which does this? I really don't want to start learning Linux etc.

thanks for your patience,

kenneth
[Message sent by forum member 'gilpster']