users@glassfish.java.net

Re: RE: character encoding

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 13:09:56 PDT

Hi again (and again, sorry for the late response :) )

First of all, your page is now correctly selecting Unicode/UTF-8 as encoding in my Firefox. So it seems you have taken the first hurdle.

About your other problem... it definitely looks from the way the pages now look that there is an encoding problem somewhere still. So your analysis that, even though your files are stored as UTF-8, they are still interpreted as ISO-8850-1 somewhere seems correct.

It does appear to me that it would be *very* braindead for Sun to have resource bundles be interpreted as ISO-8859-1 by default. Come on, these files are meant for internationalization! In the Russian file you will have almost only escaped characters!?

Could it really be that bad still in JDK6? Honestly I don't know (haven't done anything with resource bundles yet) but it seems too stupid to be true. If that is the case you might even be better off with using separate JSP's alltogether.
[Message sent by forum member 'stijn_de_witt']