users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish crashing or just disappearing

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 00:58:31 PDT

Dear Monzillo,

I seem to have the same problem. I have a SIP application running on Sailfin (that is, Glassfish 2.1 plus some SIP servlets). The whole server crashes without identifiable reason under specific circumstances. I upgraded the Java version from 1.6.0 update 15 to 1.6.0 update 19, but there is no difference.

The specific circumstances are as follows: there is some code which attempts to send about 10-20 e-mails in a very short span of time (under 0.5 second), plus logs as many lines into a log database. The e-mails are intended to alert system administrator about some untypical conditions of the environment, but they are sent way too often. If I provoke the servlet into sending about 10-20 of them, the server crashes. If I comment out the provoking code, the problem seems to disappear - it seems to be somehow connected to sending of many e-mails via remote SMTP server (there is no localhost SMTP on the machine). So I think the problem is in Glassfish proper, and not in the Sailfin extensions.

Nevertheless, the big question is how the server (which is expected to serve as a SIP VoIP central for thousands of users) will behave under bigger load.

I deployed your TrapExit.war and went through your list of points 0-6; (the only change being that I had to invoke .../TrapExit/... instead of .../TrapServlet/...). Everything went smoothly, and the SecurityManager caught the attempt to exit VM from TrapExit.

Then, I proceeded to point 7 and provoked the server into crashing again. No trace of anything unusual in the system.log file.

Do you have any idea what's going on?

Best regards

Marian Kechlibar
[Message sent by forum member 'mkechlibar']