users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish v3: Security updates - Which repository?

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 08:20:09 +0200

On 6 avr. 2010, at 17:25, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my GlassFish v3 offers a list of preconfigured repository locations:
>
> (When installed from "sges-v3-unix.sh", downloaded from Sun):
>
> dev.glassfish.org
> contrib.glassfish.org
> dev.glassfish.sun.com
> contrib.glassfish.sun.com
> release.glassfish.sun.com
>
> (It's a little bit different when installed from "glassfish-v3-unix.sh", downloaded from java.net):
>
> dev.glassfish.org
> contrib.glassfish.org
> stable.glassfish.org
> contrib.glassfish.sun.com
> release.glassfish.sun.com

This is odd, you shouldn't have "dev" repositories in stable artifacts...
Note there's also the notion of preferred authority (repo)

> Questions:
>
> (1) Why the difference?

The Sun-branded is the only supported product.
Similarly Oracle GlassFish Server will be the only supported product.

> (2) Can somebody please explain the meaning of

let me try...

> "stable",

Final versions of community bits.

> "release",

Final releases of supported bits

> "contrib"

This is for unsupported (but useful) bits.
Note you can get your own packages to this repo using the http://glassfish-repo project (we should be reviving this community project).

> and "dev"

During the work on v3, this had weekly promoted builds (one could "pkg update" every week to get to the latest promoted build)

> the way they're used by GlassFish?
>
> (3) If I only want security updates, which repositories should I enable? If I leave everything at default, I don't get any updates at all (are there no security updates since GlassFish Release 3.0?).

There has been no pubic (community, free) update made available via the update center since the release of v3 in December.
In general the default settings should work for most people and fiddling with repository definition can lead to "interesting" results.
See http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp/entry/which_glassfish_v3_download_bundle for which bundle you should get.

cheers,
-Alexis