users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish v3: Security updates - Which repository?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 08:25:48 PDT

Hi,

my GlassFish v3 offers a list of preconfigured repository locations:

(When installed from "sges-v3-unix.sh", downloaded from Sun):

dev.glassfish.org
contrib.glassfish.org
dev.glassfish.sun.com
contrib.glassfish.sun.com
release.glassfish.sun.com

(It's a little bit different when installed from "glassfish-v3-unix.sh", downloaded from java.net):

dev.glassfish.org
contrib.glassfish.org
stable.glassfish.org
contrib.glassfish.sun.com
release.glassfish.sun.com

Questions:

(1) Why the difference?

(2) Can somebody please explain the meaning of "stable", "release", "contrib" and "dev" the way they're used by GlassFish?

(3) If I only want security updates, which repositories should I enable? If I leave everything at default, I don't get any updates at all (are there no security updates since GlassFish Release 3.0?).
When I select a "dev" repository as "Preferred", and deselect the other repositories, I get several updates. But are these just security updates, or do they contain unstable changes?

Thanks
Chris
[Message sent by forum member 'chris_l']