users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Unable to launch Glassfish v3 app client via Java Web Start

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:03:00 PDT

Steve,

I have some good news and some less good news.

1. (good news) I have checked in changes to fix the original problem with optional extension libraries in ${domainDir}/lib/ext always being downloaded for every app client launched using Java Web Start (and the URL being incorrect so the JAR could never be downloaded). These changes should be available with the next nightly build of GlassFish 3.1.

As for your latest woes...

2. (good news or not so good news, depending on how you look at it) I cannot reproduce Woe #1. I was able to follow your sequence in Woe #1 and I saw no problems at all. I could launch the client the second time, after the server restart, successfully.

One possibility - but it would require quite a different set of steps from what you described - is if during deployment the Java Web Start enabled box was left unchecked. (In my opinion it should be checked, because that's the default for command-line deployment, but that's a different issue.) In that case the deployment will succeed but attempts to launch the client using Java Web Start will fail with a 404 error.

Another possibility - an unlikely one I think - is that my recent changes to fix the extension library problem somehow affected this behavior too.

3. (good news) Woe #2 happens because the app client JAR's manifest contains this:

Class-Path: TestLib.jar lib/TestLib.jar

Because only the JAR in the lib directory is actually present in the EAR, deployment issues the warning about the [i]other[/i] JAR - the one at the top-level - because you have said your client depends on it but that JAR is absent.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn']