users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish v3 on Windows not compiling JSP/JSF for admingui

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 13:58:56 PST

> > I know that large portions of the admingui use an
> alternate view
> > declaration technology called JSFTemplating. This
> would explain the lack of
> > compiled JSP pages.
> >
> @Ed: Do you know if the admingui will (ever) be
> ported to Facelets? I don't
> understand, why an alternate view
> declaration technology is being used there.
> This would show, that the expert group trusts its own
> technologies and would
> be the best reference app for JSF 2 I could imagine.
>

> Dominik
>
> http://dominikdorn.com
> [att1.html]

The admin console *is* using JSF2 and some of the new JSF2 features, including (IMO) the biggest new feature: the standardized JSF2 Ajax support.

There are several reasons we are using JSFTemplating. The biggest being that JSFT was written for the admin console and written before Facelets existed. So it's there for historical reasons. We depend on some JSFTemplating features which do not yet exist in a bare JSF2 environment. The Facelets syntax is almost completely supported by JSFTemplating and we have pages that use that syntax and hope to be able to move more of them to the "standard" syntax in future releases. However, currently that syntax (as implemented by JSFTemplating) is much, much, slower than JSFTemplating's native syntax (mostly due to the use of XML parsers and the inefficient nature of how Facelets declares view components -- which results in many more UIComponents than necessary). We expect to be able to overcome these problems in future releases and move to a more "default" JSF environment.

However, even if we were using the Facelets support in JSF2, we still would not have generated JSPs since Facelets is an alternate view technology to JSP (so this would not help this thread at all). And I do think the GlassFish Admin Console is an excellent example of what can be done with JSF2 as-is.. it shows some advanced uses of the JSF2 Ajax features, how to extend JSF2 to add additional custom features, and uses a wide variety of components -- often in complex ways. Although, it's definitely not a getting started "hello world" example. :)

Thanks!

Ken Paulsen
[Message sent by forum member 'kenpaulsen' (ken.paulsen_at_sun.com)]