users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish random ports

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 02:47:21 PDT

Hello

Make a google search on "ephemeral port", this is the real technical concept.
Add with this, the name of the OS you are using and you will find the right way to define the dynamic port range, that should be named "ephemeral ports range".

If you want to find "dynamic strange ports", you should consider the method name getFreePort() and follow the dependencies. You will find some more not so documented ports ...
One more comment: I did not try but I would except that this method is also broken for BSD like OS.

Bye
[Message sent by forum member 'vkoniecz' (vincent.konieczek_at_mpsa.com)]