users@glassfish.java.net

Re: My experience with GlassFish v3 promoted build installers

From: Sahoo <Sahoo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 21:02:06 +0530

Terena Chinn-Fujii wrote:
> Sahoo wrote:
>> I always use the zip file that's created during my build in my local
>> workspace. Today, I wanted to verify some bug fix, so I downloaded
>> v3-b62 installer. While the installation process was smooth, these
>> are my observations:
>>
>> 1. It says "Glassfish V3 Preview." How can it be "v3 Preview?" I
>> think I raised the same issue w.r.t. names of files uploaded.
>> Something wrong with our RE process. Terena?
>
> This is currently correct as we have not removed "Preview" from the
> bundle
> names yet so that's why you have seen it in the places you mentioned.
>
> I am hoping Abhijit will respond to this on when it can be removed...
I don't understand. Did Abhijit or anyone ask you to retain "Preview" in
the bundle names or you have retained them because no one has asked you
to remove them yet. If nobody asks to remove them, how long will you
continue promoting them as "Preview" bundles? What is the normal RE
process?

We made a conscious decision to keep our maven versions in sync with
product version, but that's being violated. What is even more surprising
is that "asadmin version" prints "GlassFish v3 (build 62)." So, now you
tell me if someone wanted the version to be Preview, it is not being
done in all the places. It definitely does not make sense to me to
promote builds off trunk and call them Preview well after preview is
released.

Thanks,
Sahoo