users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish Contributions (was GLASSFISH IS LAME)

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <pelegri_at_sun.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:21:27 -0700

See comments inlined. I've elided some text...

Martin Gainty wrote:
> mg>hopefully quick comments
>
>> From: karg_at_quipsy.de
>> To: users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
>> Subject: RE: Re: GlassFish Contributions (was GLASSFISH IS LAME)
>>
>>> re: local autonomy -- sure, we have been working on that for many
>>> years.
>>> Sun has had strong investments in India at least since mid 90s. We
>>> have
>>> local managers, local directors, etc, etc.
> mg>boasting "excluding development/support/feedback from the rest of the planet" is a plus?

I believe you are misreading my post.

Nobody is excluding anybody. Nowadays all development / product
outreach is global but, even if one assumes a shared language, the TZ
distances are not going away.

I was replying to Markus comment on the benefit of aligning development
tasks along geographic (time-zone) clusters to reduce the communication
/ TZ-differential cost. This is a common, and good, practice in the
industry, and Sun also follows it.

The topic came up because I was pointing to the need of synchronous
meetings to coordinate across efforts in multi-TZs. Markus said one
could reduce the need for these by this grouping; I replied saying we
already do it, but the need remains.

> mg>and make the whole process truly democratic..good point
> mg>the concept of an independent judge who will not favour one ethnic group over the rest of the community

See my previous post. Also, from a pragmatic perspective, an
"independent judge" would be _VERY_ hard to find.

> mg>the poster that wrote this is imposing his countrys limitations

I don't know what you could mean with that statement.

> mg>i would solicit advice from monsieur ellison before writing these emails

I'll ignore this one.

> mg>a competent manager makes things work vs making excuses

No excuses intended. I'm explaining how things work (and work well) for
us. And I'm not a manager, btw.

> mg>hierarchical models work for organisations with large uneducated pool of labour accomplishing simple repeatable tasks
> mg>technological problems dictate a flatter model with participation and discussion by all who wish to participate
> mg>attempts to move a current democratic process into a hierarchical model will be met with justifiable resistance

I don't know what you mean; hopefully we can skip that.