users@glassfish.java.net

Problem starting GlassFish v3 Prelude on Solaris 10

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:24:37 PDT

Is there anything wrong with starting GlassFish (v3 Prelude) by specifying the path to java directly? As in ... "/usr/jdk/jdk1.6.0_14/jre/bin/java"... (full command below)

"/usr/jdk/jdk1.6.0_14/jre/bin/java -Xms32m -Xmx256m -jar /sun/glassfish/glassfishv3-prelude/glassfish/modules/admin-cli.jar start-domain"

The reason is I cannot get GlassFish to connect to PostgreSQL database using this method. The operating system is latest version of Solaris 10, and note that the Java is 1.6 and I have the JDBC jar file in "domains/domain1/lib". The JDBC Connection Pool cannot ping successfully to the PostgreSQL DB. I have tried "postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4.jar", "postgresql-8.2-510.jdbc4.jar", "postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar", It spills out the errors as reported in this thread:

---
However, when I use simply "java" as in: "java -Xms32m -Xmx256m -jar /sun/glassfish/glassfishv3-prelude/glassfish/modules/admin-cli.jar start-domain", everything works! The JDBC Connection Pool and web application can contact the PostgreSQL successfully. Note that the java in the default Solaris 10 installation is "1.5.0_17-b04". (Of course, in order to make this to work, I rebuilt the web application for Java 5.)
---
Back to the above problem of starting GlassFish using Java 6, I'm pretty sure it can work because I have successfully done it on OpenSolaris (on a Joyent Accelerator).
---
Thanks!
Kevin Pan
Open Source Developer
http://ObjectsOnClouds.org
[Message sent by forum member 'ikevintv' (ikevintv)]